"Our Position in Christ"
OUR POSITION IN CHRIST
To begin to actively follow God’s plan for our lives, we must understand “who we are” in relation to God. We need to see ourselves as God sees us. Paul did a masterful job in the book of Ephesians in clearly disclosing the position and benefits of the Christian before changing the topic to our conduct and other practical matters. His order is significant. Why? Because we cannot live the godly, purpose-driven life God wants for us…we cannot fulfill our destiny unless we are attuned to God’s voice. We cannot live the “God life” without…God. The life of the believer is sustained by being attached as branches to the central, life-going Vine or Source.
Unless we have a close, personal relationship with Jesus Christ and allow the Holy Spirit to guide us, we cannot expect our destiny to unfold before us. So it is vital to know have as a foundation of faith an understanding of our identity in Christ, our authority, and our Spiritual benefits before deciphering our destiny in life. Because, once again, if we are not abiding in Christ or accepting our “royal” position as children of the King, we cannot possibly live the life God desires for us. Let me say it plainly, unless we have been saved by Christ and are daily living in a relationship with Him, there is no step 2…or step 3…or any other step.
So we need to do more than simply believe in some sort of higher power and know a couple Scripture verses, and do some good deeds, and be a nice person, and attend church. We need to walk daily in God’s Spirit. That is the key to the Christian “God life” and the fulfillment of our destiny.
Let us review our prominent “position” as children as God according to the book of Ephesians:
- 1:3 – He has “blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ.” We have at our disposal every possible spiritual blessing from heaven because we are children of the King. Blessings pour into us from the River of Life as citizens of the royal kingdom of Christ.
- 1:5 – God “predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself.” Even though we were not the original chosen people of God (Israel/the Jews) by birth, we have been “born again” into God’s family. We have been adopted by God. We have the benefits of having God as our “Abba” or “Daddy” Father.
- 1:7 – “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace.” Christ has purchased us back. All has been forgiven. Our souls are now cleansed due to the sacrificial death of Christ and God’s rich grace or favor.
- 1:8 – We have been given “all wisdom and prudence.”
- 1:9 – God has “made known to us the mystery of His will.” This is destiny. We can know the will of God for our lives and our church.
- 1:11 – We have been given an inheritance from God.
- 1:11 – We have a divine purpose in life. We are predestined by God to have an abundant life through Christ.
- 1:13 – “having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.”
- 1:18 – We have the hope of God’s calling and the riches of His glory at our disposal
- 1:19- God has made known the “exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe.”
- 2:1 – God has made us alive who were dead in sins
- 2:2 – Although we previously walked “according to the prince of the power of the air” in disobedience, God has delivered us from the grasp of Satan.
- 2:3 – God has rescued us from the evil desires of our flesh.
- 2:4 – God loved us even when our spirits were dead in our sins.
- 2:6 – He has “raised us up together and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.”
Whew! Let me stop here at chapter two, verse six. There are many more, but here, in 1 ½ chapters we have ample evidence of our elevated position thanks to the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ. This is “who we are” and some of the spiritual weapons at our disposal. Our position in Christ, the benefits we receive through salvation, the privileges of a child of God, and our inheritance are all magnificent, awesome, nearly unbelievable…yet they are all true!